BRAND NAME: Tamsyde-120
COMPOSITION: Etoricoxib 120mg Tablets
Etoricoxib is indicated for pain relief and anti-inflammatory action. It belongs to the class of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID). It is a type of COX-2 inhibitor that blocks the release of certain chemical messengers responsible for inflammatory action like redness and swelling. Etoricoxib acts at the target area and acts specifically at the pain site. The COX-2 inhibitors have an edge over other painkillers as they protect the stomach lining from the ulcer effect caused by other painkillers, ibuprofen, and aspirin. Etoricoxib is used in the treatment of diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and osteoarthritis. It is available in the form of tablets and injections.
Before taking the tablets, inform your doctor if you are allergic to etoricoxib or similar medicines. Also, share your medical history with your doctor and inform them if you have ulcers or bleeding in your stomach, severe liver and/or kidney impairment, colitis (inflammation of the large intestine), uncontrolled blood pressure, or heart problems such as chest pain, heart attack or heart failure and stroke. Do not crush, break or chew the tablet; swallow it whole with water.
Avoid taking etoricoxib tablets if you are suffering from any health condition mentioned below:
The list of health conditions where Etoricoxib Tablets are indicated is given below:
Etoricoxib is a potent drug capable of inducing a wide range of side effects unique to each individual. Usually, the side effects are mild to moderate and resolve over time. However, if they persist or get severe with time, immediately seek medical advice. The list of commonly seen side effects is given below:
Interaction with Medicines:
Interaction with Diseases:
1. Etoricoxib is a category C medicine that can have a toxic effect on the fetus. Hence, pregnant women should avoid taking Etoricoxib or consult their doctor for appropriate dosage or better alternatives.
2. Breastfeeding mothers should avoid using Etoricoxib tablets as the drug can seep into the breast milk and affect the child.
3. The drug can cause dizziness or sleepiness due to which a person should avoid driving or doing some other mental activity requiring focus and attention.
4. The combined effect of alcohol and Etoricoxib can increase the risk of heart problems, Hence, avoid consuming both together.
5. The Etoricoxib tablet is not recommended for children below the age of 16 years.
6. Kidney patients should avoid taking Etoricoxib or get their dosage adjusted by their doctor.
Taking Etoricoxib with birth control pills and hormonal replacement therapy may increase the chances of side effects.
Pain relief has been observed after about 4 hours of starting Etoricoxib. Full effect may take a little longer and may vary from person to person.
In some patients Etoricoxib causes sleepiness, a feeling of spinning (vertigo), and dizziness. If one experiences these symptoms then driving or operating machinery should be avoided.